Job Posting: Minister of Music
Asbury United Methodist Church, Durham
Initial Time Commitment: Quarter time, Sunday mornings at 11:00 am, Seasonal Services during Christmas and Holy Week, and one evening/week
Asbury UMC is a redeveloping church located across the street from Duke University’s East Campus. We are seeking a creative and flexible musician to grow with our congregation as we embrace a new model of ministry in our neighborhood. The Minister of Music we are seeking will have a desire for excellence in congregational music, strong relational skills, and a spiritual commitment to leading music as an act of worship.
- Pianist or Keyboardist to accompany congregational singing and provide music for worship, ability to play pipe organ if possible
- Experience in leading congregational worship
- Ability to direct a Choir in providing musical leadership and musical offerings for worship
- Willingness to become familiar with music from the United Methodist Hymnal and The Faith We Sing, as well as an appreciation for new musical styles, including contemporary and global music
- Christian commitment to the ministry of music
Additional Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in music or specialized training
- Willingness to lead people with a broad variety of musical abilities
- Heart for involving new people and special guests in music ministry
- Experience teaching children and leading children’s groups
- This is a quarter-time position at present, with the capacity to grow to half-time as the congregation and responsibilities grows.
- Compensation – this is a salaried position, to be set based on experience and qualifications of the applicant
- A background check will be required for applicants
Desired Starting Date: November 1, 2017, or as soon thereafter as possible.
Please call 919-286-0711for more information, or send a current resume and to Asbury.firstname.lastname@example.org by October 15.